The vocal track is very brooding and breathy on this track and so I wanted to accentuate that in the mix. There are a few notes that are slightly out of tune so I tried to AutoTune just a few spots but it just using AutoTune can sometimes kill the spirit of a track. In this case I decided to just leave it alone and instead play on the vulnerability of the vocals. I selected the Vintage Channel plug-in and set it to some relatively radical settings and turned on the DeEsser feature to take some artifacts out of the vocals that I found not as pleasant after using the compressor. Take a listen.
After this step its clear to me that the vocals will have to be very much front and centre in the track. This will effect how I play the guitar parts as you will hear in my next posting.